Monday, August 20, 2012

Sewing Tip Monday - Quilting to Batting

Sometimes I don't want the quilting to show on the inside of a project, such as in a lined bag like the one below.

Also, I really like the crumpled look of quilting on natural cotton batting after it has been washed, but may not want the binding or (in this case) the header to have the pre-washed look.

In either of these cases, I quilt just the top layer to the batting (I use warm and natural 100% cotton batting almost exclusively).  Then I serge around the edge of the quilted item, wash cold, and tumble dry on low heat.  This "weathers" the quilted surface nicely, and the batting holds up just fine.  I don't recommend using this technique on batting without scrim.  Any loose batting would fall apart in the washing/drying process.

From here, I just treat the pre-washed piece like the rest of the fabrics in the project, adding the lining or binding, etc.  I've used this technique with placemats, Christmas stockings, bags, and wall hangings.


If you have a sewing tip that you would like to share, please link up your blog or website post below.  I would love to see them.

Happy Sewing♥

No comments:

Post a Comment