Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Sampler Block #5 -Tumbler Block

What a fun and simple accuquilt die to work with!


My inspiration for choosing this block to work with this week was the birth of a baby in my neighborhood.  I wanted to make something quick, but special for the first time Mom and Dad and their new baby girl.


The tumbler block fit the ticket.  I haven't used this die before, and was pleased with how easily the blocks fit together for sewing with their notched corners.



I used the Breeze collection by Wendy Slotboom, some solid Kona cottonsLamour Love fabric by Sandy Gervais, and Peony Kona Crush for the backing.


All the examples I saw of finished quilts using this block had all four sides squared cut off  to make a standard rectangle.  I wanted to preserve the tumbler shape right out to the edge of the quilt, so I took a chance and cut the batting and backing to match, stitched it pillowcase style, and turned it right side out.  I think it turned out pretty well.

It hasn't been quilted yet.  I'm not sure what quilting design to go with.  Any suggestions?

Happy Sewing ♥


P.S. - I might use this tumbler shape for the borders of my sampler quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Kym, your tumbler baby quilt turned out so pretty! I want to see it when it's quilted. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty!!! You are one talented lady!!

    ReplyDelete