Friday, May 28, 2010

Spool Block - Sampler Block #1

The 1st block in the accuquilt sampler is an 8" spool block.

Here's how to make it.

Choose 2 contrasting fabrics.

If you have an accuquilt, use die # 55047 Quarter Square 4"  Finished Triangle to cut 8 quarter square triangles from each fabric.


Otherwise, cut a 5 1/4" square, and then cut it on the diagonal in both directions to make 4 quarter square triangles. Repeat x 2 with each color.


Place 1 triangle of each color fabric right sides together.  With same color on top each time, and long bias edge to your left, stitch one short edge of each pair.  Chain stitch all pairs together.






Press each pair toward same side.


Lock opposing seams together with 1 pin in seam and stitch long edge. Press open.




Here's where you can have some fun turning the blocks different ways until you get the look you like.  I went with the spools facing in opposite directions.
.


So here is my first completed block.   I hope you will try one too.


I would love to see your finished blocks.  Email a picture to me, and I may feature your block in a future blog post, plus you will receive 20 points toward a $10 gift certificate in my fabric shop.  See my shop announcement for details.

Happy Sewing ♥

1 comment:

  1. This block is one of the first I learned to make. You did a great tutorial! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete