Friday, February 5, 2010

Something Old is New Again

Today's endeavor was inspired by an online friend Tiffany Teske, you can check out her blog, Art, Food, and Motherhood, here.  Tiffany has been recycling, upcycling, reclaiming, making do, whatever you want to call it, in a wonderfully artistic way.

These candlesticks were given to us by someone from our church who was cleaning out the guest house during a remodeling project.  They sat on top of my refrigerator for six months, until today when I decided to see if I could salvage them.

Here is what they looked like before.



Armed with a hair dryer, plastic spoon, some very hot water, and gentle use of a Mr. Clean pad, I turned them into this.
 
(Don't worry, I cleaned the other one too)
An engraving on the bottom says that they are silver plated, not sterling, but I think they are beautiful just the same.  And it feels really good to reclaim something this useful which was on its way to the garbage.

Thanks Tiffany!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you, Kym! You and all my friends from our old CAD group inspire me all the time! And I had NO IDEA you had a blog, I don't know why?! I would have been here reading it a long time ago, especially since you read mine all the time. Anyway, I am so excited to check it out now! Thanks again, Kym!

    ReplyDelete