Sunday, September 22, 2013

Thankful Sunday

My boss is very generous.  This week, he handpicked, and brought in six bags of apples from his trees for all of us.  He insisted that another co-worker and I take whatever was left at the end of the day. I dropped two bags off at my church, and came home with these for my family.  Today I will make some apple goodies to take into work as a thank you.


Another story - a couple of years ago, when I heard that he and his wife were planning a trip to the Middle East, I asked if they could bring me back a couple of pebbles from Jerusalem.  His wife later told me that she was a bit embarrassed by how he picked up handfuls of stones from every place they visited.  When they returned home, she gave me some small religious artifacts they had purchased.  I thanked them for their thoughtfulness, but  was secretly a little disappointed it wasn't the stones I had asked for.  

I did notice a change in my boss though.  He had been visibly touched by his visit to Jerusalem.  He talked of how they had walked on the same streets Jesus had walked, and how the times of Jesus had became so tangible.  His wife promised me that the stones were forthcoming, but had to be divided and organized.  (I can't imagine what the agents thought as those baggies of stones came through customs, but maybe they see that all the time).


To make a long story short, last week my boss called me into a conference room and presented me with neatly labeled baggies of pebbles from all the places they had visited. He then showed me on a map where they were from, told me the history of each, and the significance of that place.  Our conversation moved to a sharing of our Christian beliefs and thoughts about Jesus Christ.

I am so thankful for his generosity.  What are you thankful for today?





1 comment:

  1. Wow! How very thoughtful of your boss!! This is quite a treasure you are lucky to have.

    ReplyDelete