Sunday, May 20, 2012

Thankful Sunday




This beautiful arrangement of lilies is a gift from my neighbor June.

June's husband passed away this past week after a brief illness.  His family and friends barely had time to adjust to his sickness, and then he was gone.  He is now asleep and awaiting Christ's return.


For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord,
that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord
shall not prevent them which are asleep.
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout,
with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God:
and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds,
to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Wherefore comfort one another with these words.  
                                                                                    (I Thessalonians 4:15-18)

What I am thankful for is this, having the honor of watching June go through this most difficult time with grace, faith, and courage.  In her time of need, she reached out to her neighbors with loving kindness.  I was able to pray with her, and pick up a few groceries for her during the few weeks before her husband's death.  She has thanked me many times for being there for her, but I know that I gained so much more than I was able to give.  Her example of enduring this trial has enriched my life immeasurably.  Despite her sorrow, she has continued to think of others, hence the gift of lilies.



3 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your friends loss. She is very lucky to have you as a neighbor and friend :) Those lilies are very beautiful!

    I am thankful for time spent with family this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait for that beautiful day! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly a very special gift--and not just the flowers.

    ReplyDelete