Sunday, May 13, 2012

Thankful Sunday

Today, I am thankful for my Mom.

Taken in OBX N.C. 2010

She was born near the end of the Great Depression in New York City.  Her Father (my grandfather) was a picture frame shop owner, with a big personality who managed to clothe and feed five children and even send them through college.  Her Mother (my grandmother) was a sweet, gentle woman with a lilting voice and frugal ways.  She worked along side her husband until the day he died, and continued to cut her own lawn into her eighties.

My Mom, Judie,  is an adventurer.  She has traveled all over the world.  Just this spring she went to Jamaica and rode a zip line high above the tree line.  She is a runner and still wins many of the races in her age category (she will be 80 in June).

She was a special ed teacher, and worked hard to earn her Doctorate degree in education  (she likes to be called Dr. Judie).  After she and my father divorced when I was  ten, she took my sister and me and moved to Alaska, where she carved out a solid place for herself.  She raised my sister and me to believe we could do anything, and helped raise three of her grandchildren as well.

She still does volunteer work several times a week, stays in close contact with her family, is on a bowling team, enjoys her canary, and has many friends.

She is one of a kind, and very special to me.  I love her very much.

Happy Mother's Day Mom ♥

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this about your Mom! She sounds like an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete