Wednesday, February 16, 2011

52 Week Challenge - Week 7

I made this little Ipod touch case for my granddaughter using fabric she designed plus some kona cotton.

Just right for a tween girly girl

 I tried to reflect her design in the quilting.
This is how it happened.  Several weeks ago, my granddaughter (she is eleven) drew her design with colored markers.  I sent it to Spoonflower, where they printed an 8" swatch and mailed it back.  Today, I cut up the swatch, appliqued it to a kona background, and then did tiny free motion quilting mimicking parts of her heart design.

The basic pattern is from a tutorial by Sew Momma Sew. I changed it up a bit by adding quilting, applique, and substituting rickrack for the elastic band.

I have a set of batik place mats in the works, as well as a knitted scarf, but this is the only project I totally finished this week.  Crafting time was shortened as we had the joy of babysitting our youngest grand over the weekend (usually my main block of time to sew) while her parents went to NYC to celebrate their 8th wedding anniversary.  My daughter is travel bargain hunter extraordinaire.  She arranged for a penthouse apartment complete with sun deck, a show - Million Dollar Quartet (which they loved), dinner at a nice restaurant, and brunch the next day,  all for a very reasonable cost.   I keep telling her she should go into the travel business.

Judy Nolan has done another wonderful write up about some 52 week participants.   Thank you Judy!

Can't wait to see what you have been up to this week.

Lets Get Busy!

P.S. - If you are new to this challenge, read more about it here, and then jump right in.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the pink. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that to have some fabric created using your daughter's design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh should have said granddaughter. That's makes it even more precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks Rose. I love kid's artwork. It is so uninhibited.

    ReplyDelete